ASSISTANT PROJECT MANAGER
Assistant Project Manager: Are you interested in the opportunity to work for a highly capable, well respected construction company that will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career? Since 1989, Gregori Construction has continued its long standing commitment to delivering quality, on time projects to many customers in our regions. Our projects include highways, local roads, bridges, dams, rail and utilities. Gregori seeks and delivers in unique and complex projects and provides excellent construction services in the areas we work. At Gregori Construction, our employees are our most valued asset and we are passionate about retaining, developing, and recruiting the best talent available. Our employees reflect our core values: We have a Strong Moral Compass, We Strive for Excellence in all facets of our work, We Respect and Care for our employees and We are Unified in our common and we are continuously looking for individuals who possess a winning attitude and share our Core Values. In exchange, we help you build a career in which few can compete. You will be part of a learning culture, where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged, excellence is rewarded, and diversity is respected and valued.
General Summary: The Assistant Project Manager (APM) is in a unique position to aid the project manager in handling the many tasks which our projects dictate. The APM may at times be the link between the Customer and the other members of the management team. There is exposure to all functions of project management including scheduling, budgeting and quality. From program review to project closeout, the APM helps to review, assess and advise each matter involving time, money or quality. Working through the Project Manager and with the Project Superintendent, the APM is involved in day-to-day construction operations. Working in unison with the Financial and Administrative Departments, he monitors and reports to the Project Manager the status of project costs and schedule. He reviews change proposals, evaluates the correctness and assesses the impact on the project schedule. At times, he will advise the Customer on scope changes, phasing and bid packaging.
ResponsibilitiesThe APM has the responsibility to ensure that Project Manager is accurately and fully informed of the status of any assignments and projects to which he is assigned. The major activities and responsibilities of the APM include:
- Gain familiarity with plans, specifications, addenda, and scope of each project managed.
- Work with the Project Manager to manage financial aspects of projects to protect the company’s interest and simultaneously maintain good relationship with customer.
- Manage project documentation (permits, licenses, submittals, RFIs, work plans, change orders, etc.).
- Manage purchasing of materials, subcontractors, and equipment rentals.
- Collaborate with PM to establish objectives.
- Work with superintendents and foremen to plan, organize, and direct construction activities to achieve project objectives.
- Initiate and maintain contact with owners and owners’ representatives, and act as a liaison.
- Monitor project progress with respect to both financial and schedule performance, and control project through collaborative planning with superintendents and foremen.
- Alert PM of unsatisfactory project performance and potential problems, investigate, and develop correction plan(s).
- Represent organization in project meetings
- Manage project performance data and formulate progress reports as requested by PM and organization executives.
- Assist accounting dept. by cost coding and approving for payment all project subcontractor and supplier invoices.
BS degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Business Administration, or related field or equivalent work experience in heavy civil construction.
One (1) to Three (3) years project experience in construction environments (heavy civil preferred).
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
Knowledge of construction practices (heavy civil preferred). Knowledge and understanding of general business practices. Maintain ability to work in high production environment. Demonstrated decision-making skills. Excellent leadership skills. Excellent communication and organizational skills. Accuracy at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working conditions. At times will be working around large construction equipment, must be safety conscience.