OPERATING ENGINEER (Heavy Equipment Operator)
General Summary: Operates heavy machinery by performing the following:
Essential Duties: Operates machinery to excavate, move, and grade earth, erect structural and reinforcing steel, and pour concrete or other hard surface paving materials; controls air and water output of compressors and pumps; controls attachments such repairs and maintains equipment; adjusts hand-wheels and depresses pedals to drive machines and control attachments such as blades, buckets, scrapers, and swing booms;
- Safety: ensure you are working safely, promote our safety culture, protect coworkers and the public and call out safety concerns at any time to any supervisor
- Tools and/or Equipment: Operates power construction equipment such as, cranes, hoists, derricks, shovels, tractors, scrapers, or motor graders, compressors, pumps.
Normally Expected Education and/or Practical Experience
- Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); completion of apprenticeship program or related experience and/or training.
- Mathematics: Must have ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in units of measure.
- Reading, Writing, and Communication Skills: Must be able to comprehend written or oral instructions.
- Problem Solving: Must be able to analyze machine malfunctions and repairs; operate and inspect machines by examining parts for damage or excessive wear
Physical Demands: Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials. Job requires wearing common protective or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, and hard hats; Considerable time spent using hands to handle control or feel objects, tools or controls. Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Frequently required to talk or hear. Frequently required to sit. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Vision abilities required include close and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Working Conditions: Regularly exposed to outside weather conditions; extreme cold and heat, wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high and/or precarious places; exposure to fumes, airborne particles, and vibration; loud working environment.